The Kindergarten curriculum is a well-balanced program designed to meet each learners needs as they progress through the year. Click below to read a more detailed description of our courses of study.
Language Arts- Balanced literacy approach (a complete blend of phonics, speaking and listening activities, sight words and writing skills)
- Word Wall Words- focus on two/three words a week. These are high frequency words often found in texts of beginning readers.
- Journal writing- listing words learned, creating stories.
- Beginning Reader Program- a reading program created for children who are ready to attempt reading on their own.
- Resources- proven resources shared by teachers across the nation to improve your child's ability and desire to read.
Math- "Everyday Math" Program featuring a hands on approach to learning mathematical concepts
- Use of daily calendar activities such as pattering, counting and graphing.
- Wide variety of items used for tactile learning of math concepts.
- Celebrating the 100th day school.
- Graphing M&M's, leaves, colors, etc.
Social Studies- Introduction to ideas of family, community and country
- Community helpers come and talk to our classrooms about the jobs.
- Harvest/Fall activities including a field trip and a Thanksgiving Feast.
- Discovery of past people and events important to our country.
- Learning about people of all cultures.
Science- Hands on discovery
- Experiments with water, light and sound.
- Obseriving and recording of daily weather to make seasonal comparisons and drawing of conclusions.
- Butterflies and their amazing life cycle.
- Comparing and contrasting plants and animals - wrap up with a field trip to the Toledo Zoo.
Religion - Theme of "God is Good"
- Making good choices.
- Activities revolving around Bible stories.
- Attending Thursday liturgy.
- Daily prayer and reflection.
- Special Christmas and Easter projects.
Special Classes- Children attend one special class per day including art, music, gym, computer and library.
We have a very non-threatening, welcoming environment designed to help each child succeed. We place special emphasis on respect, responsibility and caring. Our daily schedule is full of learning and fun.
Mrs. Julie Hansen & Miss Caite Peatee
Christ the King Kindergarten Teachers